Cisco is a recognized brand name when it comes to networking based products. The main customer base for Cisco is high-profile MNCs and corporate market.
Cisco produced routers have many functionalities which can be controlled from its OS interface. In this article I will discuss upon a specific topic i.e. how to limit network traffic with Cisco routers.
Configuring your Cisco routers to limit its network traffic is fairly simple with iOS based interface and can be done in three simple steps. I will discuss those here, so make sure to follow them carefully.
Command: class-map match-any CLASS_SLAP
- Generally, with Cisco based Catalyst switches, one has to specify an access list to match the limit of traffic.
- This is not the case when it comes to Cisco routers, where one has the class map to match any set of traffic limit one needs.
- This saves us the time and labour as we can assign all the traffic to CLASS_SLAP class.
Command: policy-map POLICY_SLAP
shape average 8000000
- Once the class has been set to CLASS_SLAP, its time to define a policy on which your router is going to work.
- In this case all the traffic matching CLASS_SLAP will have a policy under shape average 8000000, To limit the speed to 8 Mbps.
- All the traffic matching to CLASS_SLAP will now be limited under the said policy and will have a maximum speed of 8Mbps, although the speed is directly dependent on the Port as well.
Command: interface GigabitEthernet0/3.429
encapsulation dot1Q 429
service-policy output POLICY_SLAP
- Once the Class and Policy of the traffic has been set, we need to map the policy with an interface using the service policy command.
- Apply the same policy on the outbound direction as well, so that all the devices in contact with the Router will get a maximum output speed of 8 Mbps.
- This way you can limit the traffic on your Cisco router and make sure all the devices under it receives an equal amount of bandwidth speed.
These are some of the steps and commands one need to apply to their Cisco router in order to limit the network traffic. Hopefully, these steps helped you in resolving the issue.
In case, you have any doubts regarding the steps to limit network traffic with Cisco routers, then call ✆+1-800-828-6304 our Cisco Router Technical Support number to get instant help from networking experts.
Scope Of services:
- 24X7 availability
- Trained professionals
- Prompt solution
- Cost effective