In twenty-two years of powering up your homes, small and large scale businesses with innovative and latest technology, NETGEAR has served to make your lives smarter, more efficient and comfortable. It has offered a range of smart line modern innovative products such as high-performance Network storage devices, robust surveillance product range, switches to push the boundaries of your business, and power-packed Wi-Fi devices.
In the Wi-Fi category, NETGEAR was the first to revolutionize the IT sector by producing world’s fastest wireless router. It didn’t stop there and rested on its laurels. NETGEAR believes in working on pushing the boundaries further to serve you better with every product. For personal and home usage, NETGEAR has produced routers for ‘Small to Medium Homes’, ‘Medium to Large Homes’, ‘Large Homes’, and ‘Very Large Homes.’ These categories offer you a great range of Wi-Fi speed starting from N150 to N450 and it goes up to AC3000 TO AC5300 and even scales up to AD 7200! NETGEAR routers support all kinds of user needs like Multi HD Streaming, Multi Devices, Gaming, SOHO, Web Surfing, Video chats and so on.
With such powerful routers comes a range of benefits to unlock. Also sometimes due to a range of external and internal factors router’s efficiency and functioning gets affected. In such a case it becomes important to understand some basic points about this tiny yet powerful device on which we depend so much on day to day basis. A router is basically a gateway device. It usually connects a few networks. The router operates on those sub-networks at another network which is called ‘Open System Interconnection’ aka OSI. Within the router, you will find a processor, digital memory, several ‘input and output’ interfaces.
So, if anything goes wrong with your router the problems can be resolved based on the knowledge of its parts. Before we look into NETGEAR router support solutions, as a fundamental tip (which is often overlooked) – is to check that all the cables, lights of the router and wires are properly connected to router and computer that you are using. Also, check the stability of power connection to your device.
Now let’s have a look at some of the technical troubleshooting solutions that can help you sort out your router issues single-handedly:
1. Slow gaming and video streaming on NETGEAR R7000?
NETGEAR R7000 routers are specially designed for heavy gaming and video streaming purposes. There are case-specific solutions to slow streaming of this device:
- If you face any streaming lagging in both gaming and video experience you can disable QoS i.e. Quality of Service and WMM i.e. Wi-Fi Multi Media settings. Detailed steps are provided in troubleshooting section in router support page on NETGEAR official website.
- If you mainly use video and media streaming from the web then configuring downstream QoS (i.e. Quality of Service) should help you to sort out the matter. (Although this step helps in concentrating the priority to your chosen traffic and hence speeds up your video and media streaming experience, but it affects online gaming and uploading efficiency of your device.) To get detailed instructions to configure downstream QoS, please refer to the troubleshooting section of router support page on our website.
You can find more solutions in the troubleshooting section if your primary use of routers is for online gaming, or if you are facing more problems regarding upstream and downstream issues.
2. What to do if the Power LED does not turn to light white?
Usually, power LED light on your router stays amber for 20 seconds and then ideally it should turn light white. If it doesn’t, then follow these steps:
- You can switch off your router and switch it back to see if this helps to fix the issue.
- If the issue still persists then:
- Unplug the Router from the Modem.
- Connect it to the power socket.
- Usually, NETGEAR routers come with a reset hole or key which is located at the bottom or backside of the router. Locate it, and press and hold it for at least 45 seconds. You can do so with any pointed object such as a pen tip. Make sure the object isn’t too sharp, in order to prevent the router from any damage.
- As a signal, you will now see your NETGEAR router flashing all the lights. This means your router is being reset. Make sure you don’t release the reset button yet! Only after 45 seconds should you release it.
- By now the lights on the router should stabilize. It is a sign of the router being completely reset and ready to use.
3. Want to check router status and usage?
You can check it with the help of the following steps:
- Open a browser on your PC.
- Type http://www.routerlogin.com in the address bar.
- A login security page will appear in front of you. Please type ‘admin’ in the username section and ‘password’ in the password section. Please take a note that these login details are case-sensitive.
- You will now see a BASIC home screen. On this screen, you will see a button that says ‘Advanced.’ By clicking on it you can access your NETGEAR router’s status and usage details.
4. Unable to access internet on your NETGEAR Nighthawk Router?
To access internet follow the simple steps given below:
- Open browser on your PC.
- Open any external site such as www.netgear.com.
- Type http://www.routerlogin.com in the address bar.
- Now go to Router Status via Administration.
- Here you can check the IP address that your router is obtaining from your Internet Service Provider (ISP.) If ‘0.0.0.0’ is shown then it means you are not getting any signal from ISP.