George had an important meeting for which he was preparing a presentation. He downloaded several files through We Transfer. As he was surfing for more information and making notes in the Word document his cursor suddenly stopped. He was unable to click on any website or desktop program. He realized his computer had hung. He was completely at a loss as to what to do next. Time crunch made the matters worse for him.
Most of us find ourselves in the similar situation as George. Instead of hitting the panic button, let’s know how to troubleshoot when your computer keeps freezing.
In order to know how to fix the bug, we need to understand why a computer hangs or freezes in the first place.
A computer, laptop hangs or freezes when a computer program or the system stops responding to any input from the user.
Causes of Computer Freeze
Here are some of the common causes that make your computer or laptop freeze.
If you have several websites or programs running, they compete among themselves for access to computer resources such as CPU power, RAM, and hardware resources. There might not be enough RAM to support multitasking.
A virus, malware attack could be the reason why computer freezes randomly.
Overheating can lead to freezing at least in the computing world. If you have heard a sound as of the machine running, it could be signs of the computer heating up.
Hardware devices communicate with each other and the OS, with the help of software called the drivers. A corrupt or outdated driver can cause a computer freeze.
Faulty external devices, software and/or hardware errors, or changes made to BIOS settings can lead to a hung computer.
How can you troubleshoot the Bug
If you face a situation where your computer hangs, do not panic. You might wonder how to unfreeze a computer without turning it off. Start with these steps
1. Check whether the mouse connection is loose. If the connection is fine, and the programs still do not respond, check for the Caps Lock button.
2. Press the Caps Lock key on the keyboard. The Caps Lock light will either turn on/off or not respond.
3. If the Caps Lock light does not respond then try to shut down the computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del – Switch off
4. If the Caps Lock light responds then press Ctrl+Alt+Del. You will be shown options and you have to click on the Windows Task Manager. The ‘Applications’ tab will show you the various programs that are both working and not responding. Choose the ‘not responding’ programs and click ‘End Task’.
5. If things do not get fixed at the Windows Task Manager stage, then you need to reboot. If the Shut Down tab is not available, press the CPU power button to shut off.
6. But there could be a situation when the computer won’t shut off either. So what to do when your computer freezes and won’t turn off. Then, there is only one thing you can do. Switch off your computer from the plug point.
Once you reboot, check for updated drivers, updated antivirus, hardware or software errors, RAM size and so on.
Well if this seems daunting, you need not worry. Let the professionals take care of the computer support. Whether it is regular servicing, preventive measures or repairs, we at cloudies365 provide comprehensive support service for computers with all kinds of specifications. We Provide Technical Support for Computer Freeze Error. If you are facing a computer freeze, or want to avoid it, we have you covered.