Routers are electronic devices that connect multiple electronic devices through direct wired connection or via a wireless connection. A router is basically a gateway device that usually connects two to three networks. The router operates on those two to three sub-networks at another network called ‘Open System Interconnection’ aka- OSI. This tiny device consists of a processor, digital memory, several ‘input and output’ interfaces. They carry the internet signals that help you complete several internet related tasks.
They operate on a specific IP address. Using this IP address, you can connect several devices such as client PCs over a network, mobiles devices, tabs, and so on. One such benefit of the router is to give printing commands to complete all your document printing via LAN connected printer or over a wireless LAN connection. But what to do if your printer fails to work in the situation where you have changed the router? In this article, we will address this issue and provide you with solutions. Here are the few points that you should bear in mind:
1. Make sure you meet the network requirements:
As a first step, you should ensure that your PC and the router have established a proper internet connection. Only after ensuring this, should you connect your printer to give printing commands.
In the wireless LAN connection too, you should ensure the connectivity of your PC and the router before connecting your printer.
2. You can try to uninstall and reinstall the printer to solve the issue.
Sometimes, uninstalling and then re-installing the printer helps to resolve the connectivity issues. Let’s look at the steps to do so:
- Firstly unplug your printer.
- Go to ‘Start’ and select ‘Settings’ option.
- In the menu click on ‘Printers’ button. From there please select your printer’s name.
- You now need to right-click on it and then select ‘Remove’ option to uninstall your printer.
- Now run the installation software that came with your printer when you first purchased it. After this step, you need to reboot it.
- Plug in your Printer and follow any remaining installation guidelines that may be case specific to your printer device.
- The printer will install itself without disturbing any other programs on your PC.
3. Want to connect your wireless printer to the new router?
In order to connect your wireless printer to the new router, the settings of the printers should be changed. Here’s how you can do it:
- Insert the CD-ROM into your PC. It is the same CD-ROM that came when you purchased your printer.
- Click on the ‘Start Setup Again’ button.
- Now click on the ‘Change Connection Method’ option. This is the change of connection between your printer and the PC from USB to LAN or LAN to USB.
- Now click on ‘Add Software’ button.
- Click on ‘Start Setup Again’ button to start from initial installation to connection.
- Select ‘Wireless connection’ and not the ‘USB Connection’ on Connection Method Selection Screen.
- A drop down menu will appear which will show preparation for the connection. At this step please make sure your printer is switched on. After making sure, you can now click on ‘Next.’
- A ‘Printer Setup’ will now appear on your PC screen. You need to setup your printer connection just like you did when you first set it up. Click on ‘Connect to the Network’ button to do so.
- Now click on ‘Wireless Setup using USB Cable.’
- A Software Installation screen will now be displayed your computer. Because it is your second time of installing the software, therefore it is not necessary to re-install it.
- Now click on ‘Clear all’ button, which will by default leave the ‘IJ Printer Driver’ unchecked.
- You should now click on ‘Next’ and follow the installation instructions as suggested.
4. Want to set your new printer as your default printer on your Windows PC after changing the router?
In order to set your new printer as your default printer on your Windows PC after changing the router, please follow the following steps:
- Click on ‘Start’ Button.
- Now select ‘Settings.’
- From there you should now go to ‘Devices’ section. There you will find ‘Printers and Scanners’ option. Please select a printer and click on ‘Manage’ option.
- Now click on ‘Set as Default’ option to choose your desired printer as the default device.
- In case you have selected ‘Let Windows manage my default printer’ option, then you need to uncheck this button, in order to choose your desired printer as the default device.
We hope the above methods should help you to solve common issues that one faces in the functioning of the printers when you change the router. In case you are facing any other problems related to the topic, feel free to reach us. Our team of experts is happy to help you out. They are available at ✆+1-800-828-6304 24/7 to give you customized services.